There is a range of guidance available for creating Accessible EPUB files - some high level and some more technical. Please contact us (email@example.com) if you would like to see additions or updates made to this list:
- See idpf.org for comprehensive guidance on creating accessible EPUB files: http://www.idpf.org/accessibility/guidelines/
- EPUB Accessibility Specification - Editors Draft published August 1st 2016. Although it has always been possible to create EPUB Publications with a high degree of accessibility, this specification sets formal requirements to meet to certify content as accessible. http://www.idpf.org/epub/a11y/accessibility.html
- Matt Garrish's book Accessible EPUB 3, available free of charge, is a great place to start: http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920025283.do
- The BISG Quick Start Guide to Accessible Publishing serves as the model for best practices in creating accessible digital content and offers an easy-to-understand introduction to the basics of accessibility and the market advantages to publishers for adopting best practices. https://www.vitalsource.com/
products/bisg-quick-start- guide-to-accessible- publishing-the-book-industry- study-group-vbisgaccessibility
- The Floe Project has produced The Inclusive Learning Design Handbook with an Inclusive EPUB 3 Guide for all content creators and educators wishing to produce accessible EPUB 3 content.
- A check list of top tips for creating accessible EPUB 3 files can be found at: http://diagramcenter.org/54-9-tips-for-creating-accessible-epub-3-files.html
- Using Adobe InDesign to Create Accessible EPUB 3 files is available on DAISYpedia from The DAISY Consortium and can be found at: http://www.daisy.org/daisypedia/using-adobe-indesign-create-accessible-epub-3-files
- DAISY / EPUB 3 Developments, also published by The DAISY Consortium, tracks information on both standards, tools and inclusive publishing best practices: http://www.daisy.org/daisy-epub-3-developments
- The Association for American Publishers' Embracing Digital Publishing encourages the creation of accessible EPUB 3 content
- Accessible Publishing, Best Practice Guidelines for Publishers can be found on The Accessible Books Consortium website in 6 languages and a variety of formats: http://www.accessiblebooksconsortium.org/inclusive_publishing/en/. See also the short learning object on this page entitled EPUB 3 and Accessibility. These resources were developed as part of The Enabling Technologies Framework project.
- Fondazione LIA – Libri Italiani Accessibili. The LIA Foundation is an Italian organization, offering advice and consultancy to publishers and content providers interested in creating digital accessible
publications va EPUB and to visually impaired people, helping them maximize digital technologies to access content http://www. . progettolia.it/en/ theliaservices It has created an online bookshelf of more than 8,000 accessible e-books, increasing the availability in the mainstream market of accessible fiction and nonfiction titles in digital EPUB format http://www. libriitalianiaccessibili.it